Tuesday, February 26, 2008

From Feet to Sweet

Apple and Cinnamon Madeleines

Hello... It's been a while, hasn't it.

They say it takes a village to raise a child but I think the same applies to many other things. Like how the past couple of weeks has taught me that it does indeed take a village and a half to get your friends married off successfully. I will think again, very carefully, before I play match-maker and set up two friends lest I endure the back-breaking labour of being a bridesmaid all over again.

Apple and Cinnamon Madeleines

Of course, I only quip about the taxing effort that goes into helping a friend plan a wedding, it's no doubt laborious but being a bridesmaid for a precious friend is always a barrel of laughs and I wouldn't trade all the tuile and chiffon in the world for it.

But now that all the festivities are done and dusted, all that is left to do is catch up on much needed sleep and get back into the routine of normal life- with say normal thngs like blogging. Yes, the fact that I had a blog completely eluded me all this time while I was up to my knees in questions like "Is this green too green, or does this pink look like a dusty rose, or a vintage rose?" And all you had to tide you over with, all this time was a post on my mediocre madeleines that stunk of feet. I'm sorry.

Apple and Cinnamon Madeleines

I did promise a madeleine recipe to follow that wasn't so odourous and rank as the ones before and here it is. I made these a while back as an attempt at re-creating the apple and cinnamon madeleines I tried at the markets by Manna From Heaven- an Australian handmade biscuit company that believes in using only quality ingredients. To this day I am still yet to taste a better madeleine. They are extremely moist and delicately sweet and smell incredibly unlike feet! Manna From Heaven only make these madeleines in limited numbers and only during autumn/winter. So you have to be quick to catch them or else they are pretty much gone before you have enough time to take a whiff.

I don't know exactly how Rachel- MFH's founder, gets the madelines to be so moist, but they are incredibly irresistible. From what I gather, traditionally, madeleines are quite dry cakes and are made moist when dipped into or eaten with tea. An example of what I would say are traditional madeleines are Adriano Zumbo's madeleines which almost demands you to have a drink ready in your hand before you choke on the little cakes that stick to the roof of your mouth.

Apple and Cinnamon Madeleines with Raspberry Tea

I would have to say that Manna From Heaven's apple and cinnamon madeleines are a welcome departure from the traditional. Although Adriano Zumbo's madeleines, and pretty much everything else in the Balmain store are nothing short of a masterpiece, but when you don't have a spare drink lying around I would probably opt for the moister kind.

I have to say that re-creating a recipe from memory is not an easy thing. I pulled together all my madeleine recipes and tried to build my own using the techniques and measurements from them all. My version of the apple and cinnamon madeleines is nothing near the exquisiteness of Manna From Heaven's, although it is still delicious. Slightly moist and aromatic, there is nothing better for an afternoon snack.

Next time, I might try using a little bit more melted butter and apple puree to get a wetter batter. I am not sure if this will work, but baking in the name of research isn't such a bad thing, is it?


Apple and Cinnamon Madeleines with Raspbery Tea

Apple and Cinnamon Madeleines

makes 24 madeleines

Apple and Cinnamon Madeleines

150g plain all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
100g unsalted butter, softened (plus more for greasing)
50g light muscovado sugar
75g caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly whisked
½ cup pureed apples
granulated sugar for coating

Preheat oven to 180ÂșC.
Brush madeleine moulds with butter.
In a small bowl sift together flour, baking powder and ground cinnamon, set aside.
Cream butter and sugars in another bowl until light and creamy.
Add eggs and apple puree and beat until combined.
Sift in flour mixture and fold until the flour has been incorporated into the wet mixture.
Place a heaped teaspoonful of the mixture in each mould and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the tops are golden.
Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes in tray.
Unmould and lightly coat madeleines with granulated sugar.

47 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

They look lovely! I got a madeleine pan for Christmas and have yet to use it. Your post inspires me to try it out :) Glad you're back posting- the blogging world missed you!

spicyicecream said...

Hi Jen, just wondering where you found your madeline tin? I've never seen them in Sydney before.

Farmgirl Susan said...

These sound wonderful. And your photos are simply gorgeous. I've never made madeleines before, but you're certainly inspired me to hunt down a pan and give them a try. : )

Anonymous said...

this sounds fantastic - i will give it a try

Patricia Scarpin said...

I have been on a madeleine haze lately, Jenjen - I'd love to try this recipe! Bookmarked already! :)

Rachel said...

This looks so yummy!

LyB said...

I've been looking at madeleine recipes all over the place and why I have resisted to buy a madeleine pan is beyond me. This recipe just might be what it takes to get me to stop resisting! Wonderful photos!

Finla said...

Just delicious. You can invite me anytime for teatime.
Would love them madeline.

Anonymous said...

Really quite beautiful. I bet butter is the one in charge for making the cookies moist.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely adore madeleines and these look so scrumptious! Happy to have you back, I've been visiting every few days, looking forward to your new post. I really love your blog, the recipes you share and the stunning pictures you take!

Anonymous said...

these look great. i really like the idea of a non-lemon flavored madeleine. i guess i'm going to have to break down and get one of the pans.

Mandy said...

exquisite photos, the madeleine idea sounds terrific.

Rachael said...

Oh YUM. I can see how a madeline would be the perfect backdrop for apple and cinnamon without being overpowering. I will be giving this recipe a shot soon, for sure. What is muscovado sugar, by the way?

Welcome back!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely madeleines! I like your teapot too.

NSMOM said...

These look awesome and I am definitely going to try them out... couple quick questions for you.

1. What is muscovado sugar and is caster sugar just traditional white sugar?
2. Do you think this would still work if I used white whole wheat flour?
3. Lastly, I am sure this is blasphemy (sp??) but is it possible to make Madelines in mini0muffin tins or really the only way to go is in a Madeline pan?

Thanks for the wonderful site and welcome back!

Robyn said...

Welcome back! Gorgeous madeleines! I'm a big fan of apple and cinnamon. I've been itching to make madeleines, but still need to buy a pan.

Katie said...

They sound wonderful. More of a special occasion madeline than the dry ones. Yum

Anonymous said...

I can just taste them! Love this idea of flavors and the photos are excellent as usual :)

Jerry said...

Now if only my madeleine pan wasn't in boxes in another city!

Anonymous said...

Sweet redemption, eh Jen?

Literally.
Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I love the look of madeleines but have never tried them. Yours look really good, I love your pictures.

Anonymous said...

yum! Glad you are back in blog land Jen :)

Katy said...

those are just beautiful. to think, i came back from paris without a madeline pan (and without eating one)! i was too busy stuffing myself with pierre herme... oh well -- that just means i have to bake them myself now that i'm home!

Chefspiration said...

these sound delicious and look so nice! I've tagged you btw :) check out my site for the rules...

hungryandfrozen said...

You're back! What gorgeous photos. Those madeleines look seriously great.

kate said...

your photography is so ridiculously good.

Iron Chef Shellie said...

These look delicious!! I'm going to have to try them myself! I love anything to do with apples!!

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

Those look absolutely lovely. I love madeleines so I will be trying these. Great color combination and beautiful bright photos. I'm so glad I found your blog. I'm adding you to my favorites!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

welcome back, Jenjen!! I was getting worried about you!!

so great that you gave madelines another chance - especially this particular batch, with apples & cinnamon (love it!).

and hey, baking in the name of research certainly ISN'T a bad thing, at all :0)

Half Baked said...

Breathtaking photo's, as usual! Your madeleines look wonderful. Love the usual flavor!

Renee said...

Yay for not-feety madeleines! Apple and cinnamon sounds so perfect with tea. Yum!

Cheryl said...

Such beautiful madeleines. Those two flavors must have been amazing in them.

I am approaching a very close friend's wedding this weekend too and will love it but be glad when it is over also.

sweet-tooth said...

The madeleines look lovely!
You take really fantastic photos ;D
Kudos!
Btw, may i link you? :D
Thanks in advance!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

I love madeleines!!! Your recipe looks so delicious that it makes me want to make some right now!

Anna said...

I can just imagine the smell of these (apple & cinnamon have to be one of my favourite combinations). Beautiful photos!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

oh i love your madeleine pan. Its so deep , mine are so shallow. The madeleines never end up looking so nice and plump.
These are so fantastic. First of its kind ... apple madeleines :)
The pictures are fantastic too , gr8 lighting and styling.

nikisue said...

Just found your site from the blog awards and I simply love it.

Im sure you get this question a lot but what kind of camera and lenses do you use?

And I was wondering if you took requests :) I have been trying to find a good way to make nobake cookies more exciting. Any ideas?

Suzana said...

And sweet never been so sweet! Lovely madeleines. I've just baked a batch of chocolate & honey madeleines - I'm becoming quite fond of those little cakes!

Carol said...

Those look delicious; makes me want to go out and buy a madeleine pan!

Gloria Baker said...

These Madeleines looks so delicious!!! I love them. xx Gloria

Mahek said...

hi
everytime I visit your blog and see the photos my heart skips a beat , all your photos are so gorgeous and real i just can put my hand out and pick up one of those Madeleine
yummy!!!!!

The Caraways said...

Made these last night. They turned out great. Really yum! Only change I made was that I added used apple sauce for the pureed apples, which I added an extra tablespoon.

Anonymous said...

They look perfect. I love madeleines, but have yet to get my hands on a moist one. Yours sound so tempting I wish I could just grab them from the screen!

Honeybee said...

I made them last night and I love them! I added a little more apple puree and two tablespoons greek yoghurt in order to make them moister. They turned out really well. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

eatme_delicious said...

Ooo wow I've never thought of making apple cinnamon madeleines! They sound and look delicious.

Anonymous said...

Your madelines look so appetizing! I never made madelines in my life but your recipe is definitely worth trying! Nice blog!

Unknown said...

whats muscovado sugar?