Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Epilogue: Butternut Pumpkin, Sage Butter and Goat's Cheese Ravioli

Butternut Pumpkin, Sage Butter and Goat’s Cheese Ravioli

To finish off what I started, here is what came of the ravioli that I created yesterday. I set aside a container of the raw stuff and placed it in the freezer specifically for days where I was not in the disposition to labour over a great meal. Those kinds of days are quite seldom as I do enjoy cooking and being in the kitchen. However, I did not anticipate one of "those days" coming so soon, it goes to show that Kevin Coster was right about something, "if you build it, they will come".

So, after a long day like today, where misadventures were aplenty- flat tyres, incompetent telephone operators, departing relatives, no sleep, you get the picture. It was nice to come home and know that the extent of food preparation required, equated to simply boiling a pot of water.

Furthermore, in a lovely turn from our day’s ill-fortune, the lovely Italian lady next door dropped off some of her famous tomato sugo. This little act of charity turned our unassuming dinner into to a sweet and delightful experience where we could forget the quandaries of the day, simply to let them evaporate at each bite.

And so it was, Ravioli, two ways. I opted for mine to be simply drizzled with a splatter of extra virgin olive oil some toasted pine nuts and cracked black pepper; while G opted for his ravioli with generous lashings of Santina’s tomato sugo. It was perfect.

Unfortunately, no photos of the tomato sugo, G eats too fast.

Butternut Pumpkin, Sage Butter and Goat’s Cheese Ravioli

17 comments:

Raquel said...

Spectacular result!

wheresmymind said...

Just like Mario might say...those look like little packages of LOVE!!

Anonymous said...

With such a freezer trick and a heavenly neighbor, a bust of a day is ended heavenly!!
Wish I could have been your neighbor on the other side and brought you a sheet of my flat bread.
Beautiful ravioli my girl.

Anonymous said...

holycrap woman! loves the toasted pine nuts on top... :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! The pine nuts are a great addition!

archana said...

Spectacular photos !!!!

archana said...

Spectacular photos !!!!

Alpineberry Mary said...

Having homemade pasta at home waiting for you is the perfect end to a long day. Yum!

Jen said...

Guru- Thanks!

Wheresmymind- Mario is on to something there!

Tanna- That would have been the icing on the cake. I would have loved some of your flatbread!

Aria and Gilly- thanks, the pinenuts added a nice crunch to the meal.

Archanat- Thanks heaps

Mary- yes "perfect" would be one way to describe it, especially after the long hard day we had.

Sam said...

jenjen - that picture is perfect. I love sage butter, but havent had it in yonks.

Anonymous said...

This ravioli looks SOOOO delicious.

I've only just started making ravioli and I plan to make this one as soon as butternut squash are available here which will be late this summer.

(BTW, I was looking for a picture of Jack on your blog. I'm curious to see what a kelpie dane mix looks like. Pretty cute, I'm guessing.)

lobstersquad said...

they look lovely and delicious. I love coming home to food that I laboured over days ago. It´s just what you need after a hard day.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Those look unbelievable. And I have some fresh sage in my garden that would be lovely with these!

Jen said...

Sam- it was actually my first time to taste sage butter. But I have to say it won't be my last.

Julie- it's definitely a recipe worth trying!
Jack has been on this blog a couple of times in the past, although not a lot.
here's a couple of posts where you can find him:
http://ilovemilkandcookies.blogspot.com/2006/05/give-dog-bone.html and
http://ilovemilkandcookies.blogspot.com/2006/05/super-sized-ginger-chewies.html

Lobstersquad- it was a definite treat!

Ivonne- how great that you have fresh sage right in your own garden. I would take adavantage and make some soon!

Catherine said...

Hi jenjen,
Your photos are very enticing!

Anonymous said...

I took a look at Jack -- he's a cute guy. And I love the name!

sooishi said...

I love sage butter pasta!
I also post a recipe in my blog :)