Thursday, June 15, 2006

Short Black Cupcakes

Choc Espresso Cupcakes Choc Espresso Cupcakes

Thursday, cupcakes. Saturday, cupcakes. Monday, you guessed it, cupcakes. I think it’s apt to say that I am feeling a bit like a broken record or a skipping CD perhaps. This cupcake monotony is almost enough to send me on a cupcake sabbatical, but that kind of crazy talk isn’t tolerated on this blog. Although my zeal for cupcakes cannot be quenched, I must stretch my newfound culinary wings and begin to explore the nether regions of baking, away from the safe confines of my muffin tray. But enough of these philosophical ramblings.

So to cap off my cupcake odyssey of late, here is the last instalment of cupcakes for a little while, and I do emphasise “little while”. I wouldn’t be able to keep away from them too long; it would be like trying to get Carrie Bradshaw to discontinue amassing her Manolo Blahnik collection. Likelihood of this occurring- nil.

These Short Black Cupcakes with Coffee Meringue Frosting, were also taken from the Cupcake Couture feature in the latest issue of Donna Hay Magazine. The result is a rich and moist cake that’s irresistible. It is rich, but not too heavy, so you definitely can have more than one. Both the coffee and chocolate mingle together to create a perfect balance between bitter and sweet. Also if you look closely enough you will see the little flecks of coffee inside. The light meringue frosting takes only a mere ten minutes to whip up. I reduced the amount of sugar and increased the amount of coffee, but if you don't like that bitter coffee aftertaste, just stick to the measurements specified below.

Short Black Cupcakes
(makes 12 medium cupcakes)

Short Black Cupcakes

125g unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup golden caster sugar
2 eggs
1¼ cups plain all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant coffee
½ cup milk
100g dark chocolate (70%), melted

Coffee Meringue Frosting
1 cup caster sugar
¼ cup water
¼ tsp cream of tartar
2 tbsp instant coffee
3 egg whites

Preheat oven to 180˚C. Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Sift over the flour, baking powder and cocoa and beat until incorporated. Fold through the instant coffee, followed by the milk and then the chocolate. Spoon the mixture into a muffin tray lined with paper cases and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked when tested. Cool on wire racks.

To make the icing, place the sugar, water, cream of tartar and coffee in a saucepan over high heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Place the egg whites in a bowl of an electric mixer and beat until soft peaks form. While the motor is still running gradually add the sugar mixture and beat until thick and glossy. Spread the icing over the cupcakes with a palette knife.


Cocoa the  monkey with cupcake Short Black Cucpakes
Cocoa the Monkey poised to devour his last cupcake for a while

14 comments:

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

EEE i love your adorable monkey!! and the cupcakes look great too :)

BoLA said...

Wow! Stumbled on your page via TokyoAstroGirl and am definitely bookmarking your blog! I have such the sweet tooth and love your milk and cookies, your delectable cupcakes, and fabulous photos! Happy Eating!

Anonymous said...

That frosting looks so glossy and yummy. I love the little monkey too!

Anonymous said...

love how the meringue frosting is as big as the cupcake. it's a perfect little mound on top!

Adventurous Twenty-Something said...

Your photos are amazing! First time to your site but I love it. I can't wait to try some of your recipes.

archana said...

Chcolate and coffee, what a fabulous combination !!!! Thank you for the recipe. I frost choco cakes with Espresso frosting once in a while, and i love it. Meringue cream looks so shiny and rich.Nice photos. Well done !!!

Jen said...

Suyin- Thanks, Cocoa is my trusted taste tester!

Bola- Thanks for stopping by, im have a sweet tooth myself. This blog kind of helps me indulge it, although probably not too good for the waistline : )

Anita- yes the frosting was so lovely I was licking the leftovers out of the bowl!!

Vanessa- You can never have enough frosting I think. My theory is frost it as high as gravity will allow!

Adventurous 20 something- thanks you so much for coming, i'd love to know how you go with the recipes.

Archanat- Thank you! I enjoy meringue frosting as well as it's not as sweet and heavy as say buttercream frosting. But I still do love buttercream frosting once in a while.

Thank You all for your wonderful comments and I really appreciate you coming by.

Liz :) said...

WOW!!! These look fantastic! Your photos are wonderful! Could almost eat the cupcakes off the screen! :)

Will wanna try these cupcakes sometime! Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

mmm yummy yummy...

Sara said...

the frosting looks amazing.

Jen said...

Liz- LOL im the same. They do look pretty tempting. You should definitely try this recipe, you won't regret it.

Swee- hello, ditto that.

Sara- yes, I think the higher the better.

Anonymous said...

Very nice !!!!

Anonymous said...

I want one of this right now!!!

Delicious ...

Liz :) said...

Hey! Was just thinking of perhaps finally trying these cupcakes this weekend.. just wondering with the frosting, does it harden? I have to transport it out of my kitchen and not sure whether the frosting will cling to the clingwrap??? Thanks! :)