Thursday, June 01, 2006

Billy's Chocolate Self-Saucing Puddings

Bill's Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding

Since receiving a copy of Bill Granger's book Bill's Food as a Christmas present last year, he and I have become well acquainted. He has also recently become a guest contributor to the SMH's Good Living section, so has a sort of omnipresence in my kitchen. His fast and simple recipes have been my saving grace all those times when I didn't feel like cooking, but also didn’t want to end up eating a substandard meal. His recipes are great for those on the go and also for those that require a no-fuss policy when it comes to cooking, which includes myself.

On an impromptu request for a quick chocolate dessert from G and my mother, I knew exactly what to whip up. Whenever people need a quick chocolate fix in my household I always reach for my copy of Bill's Food and make his famous Chocolate Self-Saucing Puddings. For me these are utterly fail-safe, to this day I have never ruined this recipe and each time I have made them they have turned out beautifully. I do recommend using a good quality unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed or alkalised) as that the cocoa is definitely the primary flavour. The higher the quality of the cocoa powder that you use the better your little puddings will taste.

For this quickie batch I did not have any thick double cream to serve them with, although they are just as satisfying to eat on their own. Also the puddings alone can be reasonably filling so having the double cream makes them doubly filling. They are a great dessert option for winter as they are very warm and comforting. And if all of the little puddings are not devoured that same night they are still just as delicious the morning after. G has even had it for breakfast the following day.

In all modesty I think I have virtually mastered this recipe, although I have still to achieve the level of prettiness in my pictures of the pudding as Bill does in his book. I have never gotten my pictures to look quite as good, but it is something I am aiming for. I guess it doesn't matter after you put a spoonful of the warm chocolate goodness in your mouth. After all no matter how pretty a picture is you still can’t eat it can you?

You can find the recipe for Chocolate Self-Saucing Puddings on Bill's website.

No comments: