Friday, May 05, 2006

Giving in to the Cookie Monster: Chocolate Marble Cookies


After much pacing up and down the hallway, I finally decided to give in to the cookie monster. I caved in under its pressure and relinquished all my will to the ever-so strong desire for something sweet. I thought that I had tamed the cookie monster within, but alas I had not, it was still there lurking around like those monsters that live under your bed and only come out when you turn out the lights. Being almost midnight I knew that I was breaking almost all of the cardinal rules of healthy eating (which I do try to adhere to on most occasions). Sugar, butter and the late hour combined were a Molotov cocktail to health and well-being.

Nonetheless I pressed on, and made them. The batter only took fifteen minutes to whip up. Before baking, I drizzled a small dollop of melted semi-sweet chocolate on top of each cookie and used a toothpick to swirl the chocolate through to give a slightly marblelised effect. Because I was in such a rush to have them baked and eaten, the marbleing didn't quite looked marbly enough. But as long as they were delicious I was happy. They turned into giant cookies the size of your hand, the outside edges were sugary crisp and the centre had a beautiful soft melt-in-your-mouth texture.


So at last the cookie monster was appeased and it retired back to its dormant state until the next time it emerges.


Recipe for Chocolate Marble Cookies
adapted from Big Fat Cookies

½ cup semisweet chocolate
1 cup all purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
½ cup butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 extra large egg

Melt the chocolate in a double broiler, set aside. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth, add the egg. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Drop approx 3 tablespoons of dough onto a baking sheet and drizzle the melted chocolate on top. Use a knife or toothpick to swirl chocolate to marblelise. Bake the cookies at 180ยบ C for about 11-13 minutes. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes.

Makes 8 cookies.

No comments: