Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Sugar Hit: Four Seasons Hotel

Sugar Hit Brown Brothers Orange Muscat Aperitif

The great thing about Sydney’s Good Food Month is that there are not only a surfeit of events and activities to occupy yourself with during the day, but the choices carry on well into the night. From sun-up and long after sun-down, October just becomes an all day glut-fest, where gastronomes can gorge to excess without bringing themselves into too much disrepute. This is the time when closet foodies can emerge out of their hiding places, dust the crumbs off their faces and safely profess their love for food without fear of being publicly shamed. Why not? The whole city is in the midst of a food frenzy.

And if by chance you are a closet sweet tooth, this is the perfect time to come out and indulge yourself in the cover of night with the
Sugar Hits, held every night at selected hotels around Sydney. As a self-confessed sugar addict, this is one GFM event that I could not bear to miss.

Sugar Hit Dessert Sampler

After spending the day stuffing ourselves at the Spring Picnic, I couldn’t think of a better way of capping off our evening than with the Four Seasons Hotel’s dessert sampler. The sampler consists of a Spiced Mexican Chocolate Pot de Crème (centre), a mini Passionfruit pound cake with vanilla mascarpone (foreground) and a Hazelnut Croquant Parfait with sesame crisp, all matched with a glass of Brown Bothers Orange Muscat Aperitif.

Although all three offerings were outstanding I think my favourite had to be the Hazelnut Parfait with sesame crisp. By itself the parfait is quite bland, although when eaten with the sesame crisp, the juxtaposition of flavours is simply superb. It's a unique combination of flavours especially for a dessert. The Passionfruit pound cake was similarly great, and paired with a dollop mascarpone I was sent spiralling into a dessert-induced frenzy. Anything with mascarpone immediately garners my full attention.

Sugar Hit Vanilla Mascarpone & hazelnut croquant parfait with sesame crisp

Lastly, the most disappointing would probably have to be the Spiced Mexican Chocoalte Pot de Crème. Do not get me wrong, it tasted great but there really wasn't enough of it to get a reasonable impression of how good it really was. The one mouthful you did get to taste was chocolatey with subtle notes of spiciness, unfortunately there was only the one mouthful. After having to lick off the vestiges from the tiny ration, you sadly are left wanting more. I'm sorry but a 3mm-deep soup spoon's worth of chocolate isn't going to satisy my seven stomachs for dessert.

Sugar Hit Chocolate Spiced Pots de Creme

Cost: $15
When: every night throughout October from 9pm-11pm

Four Seasons Hotel
The Bar, 199 George St,
The Rocks, Sydney
Phone: (02) 9250 3114

For more Good Food Month action, don't forget to check Rebecca's weekly round up here.

4 comments:

wheresmymind said...

That looks so incredible...good deserts make even the best of days that much better :D

Anonymous said...

You make me want to visit Sydney again!

Jen said...

wheresmymind- I have to agree, desserts are the best part of the meal. And I mean desserts, not just a dessert.

Helen- I'm glad to know that it wasn't just me who thought there needed to be more in that "pot". I don't think it could even classify as a pot de creme as it was barely a potful.

Bea- you must come and if you do decide to come nack, come during the month of October... oh the reverie to be had!

Jen said...

Bea, I meant come back, not come nack...

I really should check what I write before pressing publish...
I get too excited replying to peoples comments.